“Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” ~Kahlil Gibran~
Baldness, dull hair, dandruff, split ends ………….The list of hair related problems is endless. Above all, premature greying and falling of hair is emotionally traumatic!
Shiny, soft, black hair enhance one’s self esteem and confidence, thus desired by all. According to a survey, women spend more on their hair care products than on medical bills! In a hope of getting attractive hair, they tend to prone hair to further damage by applying harsh chemicals.
The science of Ayurveda, with its tips and treatments can enhance the quality of every hair type. Without spending much from your pocket, you can avail the best results from ayurvedic hair treatments. Ayurveda follows naturopathy, thus its treatments cause no side effects.
Ayurveda has a solution to every hair problem and tips to enhance the quality of any hair type. The remedies unveiled in Ayurveda make use of easily available herbs, plants and spices. Ayurvedic hair oils have an aroma that leaves a soothing effect thus relaxing both mind and the body.
Reason behind Unhealthy Hair
In our day to day life, hair gets exposed to a number of hazardous elements like pollution, harmful ultraviolet rays, dust and dirt. These ills takes away natural hair shine, make them look dull and lifeless. Furthermore, dust and bad weather triggers dandruff and hair fall.
The sedentary life style followed by most of us is the main culprit behind numerous body ailments. Hair problem is the body’s way of telling that you are unhealthy from within!
Many people under medication suffer from premature hair greying and hair loss as a side effect of strong medicines.
Hormonal readjustments at the time of pregnancy also lead to sudden hair fall in many women.
Ayurvedic Hair Care Tips
First and foremost, improve your way of life. Eat healthy food and exercise regularly. Take adequate rest and stay stress free. Your good health will definitely improve quality of your hair.
Keep your hair clean without using much of the harmful shampoos. A good range of herbal shampoos is available in the market. The ayurvedic hair care products do not contain any damaging ingredients. For those who are reluctant to use shampoos, they can wash their hair using limejuice and vinegar.
Hair should be conditioned after every wash and also brushed and combed regularly. The scalp within has a layer of natural oils on its surface. Regular combing spreads the oil uniformly throughout the head.
Drink plenty of water as it detoxifies the body from within. Include plenty of green leafy vegetables, fruits and dairy products in your diet. The dairy products are rich in proteins and thus provide desired hair nourishment.
Ayurvedic Hair Care Treatments
- Dull looking hair can be treated with lemon juice mixed with egg. The paste is to be applied over the hair roots for an hour and then should be washed off using a herbal shampoo. The egg protein externally nourishes the hair roots while the lemon extracts treat dandruff.
- Ayurvedic hair oils should be used to massage the head at least twice a week. A gentle head massage improves the blood circulation, thus strengthening the hair.
- A paste made up of curd, mustard oil and lemon applied over the scalp, washed off after an hour, makes the hair look fluffy and healthy. This is the natural and beneficial way of blow drying your hair!
- Bramhi, Shekakai and aamla are the herbs beneficial for hair. You can soak the herbs overnight and ground them to a paste the next day. This paste if applied regularly will postpone greying and ensure good healthy hair. If herbs are not available, you can benefit from the herbal hair oils containing these ingredients.
- China rose leaves, also known as Hibiscus, boiled with lime, if applied before shampoo, make the hair soft and manageable.
- Shikakai powder mixed with amla is the best home made conditioner for hair.
The arurvedic hair care products are easily available and are affordable! They cause no side effects but are beneficial. Thus one can trust them and add to the beauty of his/her crown of hair.
About the Author
Dr. Sonica Krishan is an Author, Freelance Health Writer, Editor, Ayurveda Consultant at Herboveda and Holistic Healing Coach based at Chandigarh, India. She has a Bachelors in Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery and also an Advance Diploma in Naturopathy and Yoga. She has authored three natural home cure books: Herbal Healers, Home Remedies, and Healing through Ayurveda. You may contact her at email@example.com or visit her website http://www.herboveda.co.in.
Note – Information presented in this article is solely for the purpose of imparting education on Ayurveda and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or mitigate any disease. If you have a medical condition, please consult a qualified health professional.